Home About Me Websites Apps My Classroom Image Map

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Can You Help Me?


As ITCs (Instructional Technology Coaches), we wear many hats such as: IT person, Coach, Co-Teacher, etc.  However, the other day, I had to admit I was unsuccessful at my job, or so I thought.  Then, I realized after reflecting on the day, it was success undercover.

A student came into our office during my IT time and asked me if I could help her.  Feeling more confident in my job then I did in September, I knew I could help her.  She told me that her USB flash drive was not working anymore and wanted to know if I could get her files off her flash drive and place it on a new one.  THEN…she handed it to me.


As you can see from the picture, it was not a good situation. Well, as promised, I did try to retrieve the files from the flash drive but I was unsuccessful.  I tried many machines, but not one machine even picked up the fact that I put a USB in the computer. 

But on the other hand, I thought about how impressed I was that the student had that much faith in us that we can fix anything!  So overall it was a success!  If we take time to think about our “unsuccessful moments”, we can find success!  Success is not always completing a task; success can come from the process or from the person who asked you to complete the task!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I think our unsuccessful moments can be one of our most successful moments. I remember teaching a math lesson that I thought would be very successful. However one student just did not "get it" despite the SMARTboard, manipulatives, and song. I tried every which way to teach it over. Then I said does anyone else want to explain how they solved this? Three different students came up with three different strategies. I was so impressed with their strategies! This reminded me to let the students be the teachers! I thought that was a great lesson that came from one of my unsuccessful moments!

    ReplyDelete